Friday, January 24, 2014

1/18/14

I made the drive to Houston to play a solo show at Notsuoh. The building was a shoe store on Main street and they have a ton of the old stock still sitting around. Back in the '60's this must have been a swinging part of town. I was in the area a few years ago and it was a ghost town. Back then we were lucky to get some pizza from a place that was closing at 5PM on a Saturday, now there are fifty or so places that serve through most of the night. I guess things are improving in Downtown Houston...

I was here to play a benefit for a friend who has some nasty lung cancer. She has the worse possible kind, but she is getting kinda lucky with it (if there is such a thing). Somehow the chemo she takes isn't knocking her on her ass and she still has most of her hair... It truly is the little things that count in this type of situation.

I get up and did my little set... Damn I'm rusty playing solo. It's so easy to get use to playing with a band. I can go from rhythm to soloing easily with the Ladies, but when your by yourself it's a whole different world.

My favorite part of the night was doing a couple of duets with Hilary York. We played a bunch of songwriter Sunday afternoons together a few years back and ended every week by playing some together. It was really nice dusting off the Parliament classic "My Automobile", after all this time we still remembered those sweet ass harmonies! It really felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment