Saturday, March 18, 2017

3/17/17

Bigfoot at the Shangri La last night.

I parked ten blocks away and hoofed it. The walk wasn't bad but looking for a space sucked. I got tired driving around looking so I jumped on the FIRST place I found. Ten blocks away.

The show was put on by these folks from Kansas City called Midcoast Takeover. I don't know why they were in town or putting this on but they were kind and competent as hell so I didn't ask any questions. There were two stages going and they had them running like clockwork. Songwriters inside and the loud bands outside. We were outside on the big stage with the LED screen.

When I walked in there was a Hip Hop band from St. Louis called iLLPHONiCS up there killing it. Really high energy stuff and the lead dude was on his shit. I love Hip Hop with a band, it makes good rapper better and it makes a great one amazing and that's what they were, amazing. And we were following...

I got up when they finished and plugged in to the house bass rig, a full TUBE SVT!! The only way to fly... when you don't have to move it. I was loud, gritty, punchy and clear all at the same time. 350 tube watts and 8 X 10" speakers will do that. It will also crush you at the bottom of a stairwell if you move wrong.

Our set was a quick 30 minutes of Bigfoot goodness. We snuck in an Evan Johns tune as a tribute (sadly no time to work one up for James Cotton, every harp player felt that one.) Walter had a pretty sweet harp battle with the guy from Daddy Long Legs to cap things off.

Afterwards I hoofed it back to the truck and went the hell home!


My final SXSW shows are,
Hickoids @ '04 Lounge 5PM
Swishbucklers @ AGBG 8PM


No comments:

Post a Comment