Friday, August 12, 2011

8/9/11

This was a last minute gig. Smitty texted me on Sunday for a Tuesday, quick.

Get the Hickoids for a night was some kind of a prize for some kind of radio show for some kind of legal fees for someone I don't know. Just how you want a blog post, loads of detail...

On Tuesdays, Headhunters has Ta Ta Tuesdays. A bunch of strippers show up and dance to the bands. It's a hell of a gimmick and it works, they had a lot of folks packed in to that tiny room. At one point I was outside and some girls walked by and said "Eww, strippers!". The door girl said "No, they are burlesque dancers!" and then she gave me a conspiratorial look and said "they're really strippers". Funny chick.

Breakdown

$2 double vodka tonics, not bad, but not free. I'm guessing some of it was a tax for the privilege of having a tiny-bikini clad, giant breasted, "suicide girl" esque bartender serving them. I'm not angry.

I used my rig and it sounded pretty good, but the room is so small it doesn't work all that hard.

Hickoids have a lot of trouble on a stage that small. Lots of  bump in to that, hit this, "watch it, that's my head!" kind of moments. And they are all balanced out with the stinkiest microphone on the planet being shoved in your face. It's one cramped, sweaty, stinky, noisy mess. Just like it should be.

The sax player in the band after us was barefoot on stage. oy...

No comments:

Post a Comment