Saturday, October 18, 2014

10/17/14

South Filthy hadn't played in over five years and we were booked for a reunion set at the "Deep Blues" festival in Clarksdale MS. This fella, Chris has put this thing on for the past few years up in Wisconsin but now it's down in the Delta. And it's out in the delta, as in out in the sticks at a place called the Shack Up Inn. Look it up online. You can stay in a spruced up sharecroppers cabin out by the cotton fields and your not expected to work and that's a huge plus. 

Like all things South Filthy it was a seat of the pants kind of affair. I flew in to Little Rock Thursday afternoon and drove down to Tunica where I stayed for a couple of nights *

We played the Friday night after Guadalupe Plata and Scott Biram, both put on great shows then we went on. The first five or six tunes were fine. But once we got into some new material we were pretty lost and it ended anticlimactically. Thats what happens when I am hearing half the set for the first time on stage AND I met the drummer for the first time a couple of hours before we went on...

It wasn't horrible but it could have been better. But once again I need to just shut up about how I think things  went, a lot of people had fun and told me it was great and that's all that matters. 

We have another show tonight, up in Memphis. Now that we've had a practice maybe the crowd AND I can agree how things went. 

* quick aside here. According to my phone it's an hour between Clarksdale and Tunica and I figured it would be no big deal since I make the  Austin/San Antonio drive all the time. I was dead wrong. Austin to SA is a busy highway with a ton of traffic and business all along the route. Tunica to Clarksdale is a four lane state road that is surrounded by cotton fields with very few business along the route. It's also dark as hell at night and the landscape is flat. Flat flat flat. And is so bleak out there at night that you could easily drift off to sleep. I had to fight it most of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment