Wednesday, September 14, 2011

9/14/11

Two practices in the same room (15 at music lab Oltorf one of the worst practice rooms for bass acoustics with loads of standing waves and slap back). The first one my bass sounds lumpy and mushy. The second it has punch and clarity. It is much louder and lower. What a difference a good head can make.

TC Electronic, you do some amazing things with an 8.8 pound amp head. No joke. It weighs four times less than the Ashdown I was using and it KILLS it in every way. The first thing I noticed was the control. Loads of punchy clean power and when I gave the bass knob a twist it gets thicker and adds some meat. The tube tone fuzzes up nicely and adds some slick sustain to everything. At one point in the middle of a song I thought it was lacking some grunt so I drove the gain a little harder and suddenly it slammed way harder than ever before.

The only problem now is I'm borrowing this head and now I'm gonna want to buy it (and some cabs to go with it...) I'm gonna have no money...

Hickoids ACL fest is this weekend, so you can look forward to lots of tales of stupidity for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment