Wednesday, October 31, 2012

10/27-28/12‏

I love recording. Even when I'm not the one tracking I love being in the studio and around the process. Working with Joe Trevino at Blue Cat Studios in San Antonio makes it even better.

The Hickoids are rerecording the "Hairy Chafin' Ape Suit" EP we put out a couple of years ago. It will have a few more songs and already sounds a WORLD better than the last try. Joe has no small part in that. It isn't just his ears, the gear or the room. It's Joe who knows ALL of that stuff like the back of his hand to the point where he doesn't even think about it. He is solely concentrating on the performance and extracting the best one possible out of the people in the room. The ladies and I really need to get in there.

We cut most of the stuff live with a few overdubs and punches where a part wouldn't work. A lot of studios try to isolate things as much as possible. With us Joe kept saying "Bleed is good!" You will hear mistakes on this one, just like it should be. It's a record made by a band, not some artistic piece of glory perfected. There are still some backing vocals Davy and I need to lay down, but we are very close to having a new one in the can. It was a pretty easy couple of days considering how much work was involved.

We did an electronic (I am not kidding) version of Cool Arrow. When I finished laying down the bass line Smitty said "Hey this mechanical bear band just called, they need a new bass player." I quickly let the "fuck you" fly and then I heard the track... Apparently they do eighteen shows a day and they have dental after six months, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment