Sunday, November 18, 2012

11/16/12

Davy and I made the drive to SA to knock out some backing vocals for the new Hickoids record. Joe Trevino is an absolutely amazing engineer. It isn't all about owning all the right equipment and knowing how to mic things up. It's mostly about having patience and looking/waiting for the right performance. Jones and I were there for a little more than two hours and over that time I heard him say "Don't worry about it brother, we are getting there" a dozen or so times. Saint like patience. Beautiful.

It was pretty cool actually hearing some of Smitty's lyrics I've never heard before. Generally it's way too loud (and I'm too busy) to understand anything he is singing. In the studio you can hear every word and he had me cracking up several times. I've been on the other side of the fence for most of my life. With the Ladies (and previous incarnations of my act) I'm the songwriter so I know what I'm saying and I've had my band mates say "Oh, that's what that songs about..." This time, that was me. Perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment