Friday, September 20, 2013

9/19/13

The Red Eye Fly on a sweaty Thursday night. It was raining enough to make it disgusting outside. No relief from heat when you've had thirty minutes of spitting rain. It just becomes a pressure cooker. I was drenched with sweat before we went on.

In the old days (last month) the REF's neighboring parking lot was a hell of a good deal. $10 for all night on a weekend, $5-$7 during the week. Apparently someone new owns it because they jacked up the rate to $12 for three hours!!! I know I'm an old, small town guy, but DAMN! What a scam...

I paid for parking on the street... $3.50 for the rest of the night a deal in the current economy of Austin parking. I know this was (and still kinda is) one of my big bitches. Years of seven-days-a-week free night time parking conditioned me to expect it... I guess it's my fault I "miss" it (also see small town/old comment above...) Parking is big business in the ATX.

Me and the Ladies played up front while three or four "younger" bands fought for rock star status out back. Tough gig out there, you get paid, but only from what you bring in. As in if three of your friends paid $5 each to get in, you get $15. You don't get much more than that if you are playing up front, but there is no cover and your friends spend their money on beer (and maybe buy one for you!) not on a cover to see their friends band... again... It's nice to not give a shit about being a rock star. It really allows you to concentrate on the playing of the music and not stressing yourself out because only two people showed up and you owe the drummer $20 for posters.

We did two "New-Old" songs last night. The first is "59" which I wrote five or so years ago and never really played until now. And "When The Money Gets Big" from the "Get So Little" Cd I put out tenish years ago. The new versions are really good. Have I mentioned how much I love this lineup? We aren't just good, we are ass-whippingly good!

No comments:

Post a Comment