Saturday, October 12, 2013

10/11/13

ACL Week Two Day One

Big night at the Hole in the Wall. I showed up right when Two Hoots and a Holler were going on (I missed the first band) and the place was already crowded. They have a fiddle! I'd never seen them with anything other than the classic two guitar, bass and drums (sometimes one guitar). Nice set, Ricky can still whip it.

Purple Stickpin were next. Dan is not playing guitar with them anymore, sad but they replaced him with TWO other guitars! (Jones is one of them) They were HUGE! Loads of sweet guitary goodness swirling around over Tex's growling.

At this point the Hole was one in, one out. They were at total capacity. The AC was doing nothing in the back and you could barely feel it up front. Too may bodies for a thirty year old AC to keep up with. Most everyone was there for the Old 97's. They were in Austin recording this week and jumped on the bill as the big act. The crowd was PACKED in the back room. It was actually a little on the spacious side up front while they were playing, but completely impossible to stand in the back. Unless you like sardine life or the Japanese subway.

They finish their big rock and roll set and the Hickoids were up. About a third of the crowd took off and the people who were left were primed and ready to party. Lots of drunk and happy all over the place. We punched through Hickoid hits old and new. As usual I took my jacket and tie off after the first song and before I even got a chance to get sweaty on my own someone threw a beer at me. I was soaked and by the end of the set I smelled like warm, flat beer and sweat. I couldn't keep the chicks off me...

In and Outlaws finished things off. What a great band. I'm liking them more and more every time we play with them. The upright and the accordion blend together in an amazing way. Some really interesting and cool sounds played by some serious bad asses. Yeah.

They finished up and it was 2 so the lights came on and we all headed home.

White Horse tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment