Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10/5/13

ACL Week One Day Two

It was me and the Ladies (and a pile of other bands) at Infest. This night was the big Gary Floyd benefit and the place became packed, eventually...

We went on second when only a handful of people were there (and after Scorpio Rising.) Since Wiley had his drums up on the riser Draya sat over on BC's side of the stage. Drum risers are really cool when there is only one drummer, but they make it hard when you have two.

We had a really good set. Played another new, old one and we generally kicked some ass the whole show... Except for one song. "The First Time" sucked... Bad... I have no idea what went wrong or how it happened, but it was pretty fucked up. That song was the first tune I wrote specifically for this version of the band and we've been kicking the shit out of it pretty much every time we've played it. I guess the fuck up was bound to come (you will screw up on everything, eventually) it just sucks that we finally did. We finished it up in a fairly "professional" manner, looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders, laughed and finished the set. No big deal, just one, little black spot.

Someone shot a video of the newest, old song, details to follow.

Pure Luck was next. Odd seeing Pinkus on guitar but a great set. El Pathos whipped it. The Casters were after. Really strange watching that from the front. Tom did a hell of a job. but my picky ass kept thinking "Nope, that's not how it goes!" The strangest thing was Tom was playing the bass line that Jacob laid down on the recording of "Derby Crush" and not the one I played. I'm in the video playing bass, but it's Jacobs line you hear. The part I came up with was a walking line that moves like all hell. The "Jacob line" is more of a 1/5, almost a country thing. It was confusing to my little brain to hear the song and not hear the "right" part (even if that part is on the record...) See, confusing.

David Yow and the Dicks. I'm certain you can read a number of positive reviews about their set all over the internet. My brief review is... What an awesome show! Absolutely killed it! Yow is an amazing front man (duh) and the Dicks were as solid as ever. I'd like to see that again.

They were finishing up and I got some pizza with my favorite Lollygagger then we got high and went back for the Pocket Fishermen!

The Lollygagger got really high and isn't use to it. She was getting close to a minor freak out when I said "Stand up front and enjoy a pothead's best friend." The Fishermen didn't disappoint. Many classics and my #1 favorite song about monkeys mutilating people ("those monkeys really rip it off!"). Loads of fun. By the end she was jumping around and laughing her ass off. The Pocket Fishermen save the day again!!

They finished and the club started kicking everyone out. I grabbed my gear (no amp, yea backline!) walked to the truck and took a little nap before I headed home.

Fun night!

No comments:

Post a Comment