Saturday, March 16, 2019

3/15/19

My first of only two shows this SXSW. Hickoids were closing out the night at ABGB.  

I’d snuck in two other shows on Wednesday and Thursday. I literally snuck in the back door (no badges or wristbands for me!) to see De La Soul Wednesday. They were unreal.  And the crowd was so happy to be there. Still only about half as happy as I was!

The next night I saw Maseo dj and it was pretty dam cool as well.  I happened to walk by him as he was headed to the  stage, that dude.... too cool!

Anyway back to last night. I got there and Harvey was up, but for only the last two songs...  The Sloths were up next, LA rock and roll. With costumes and magic?!!!  A very pleasant surprise!

There was still a good crowd for us at the end. Those folks ate us up and we gave it good!!  Early on in the set Smitty knocked the mic stand over and broke it. As I saw it hit the ground I wrote up a little short story in my brain that had Paul, the sound guy, putting his worse stands in front of us whenever we played. Sacrificial lambs of live music. I asked him after if that was true, he denied it but I still have my suspicions. 


Only one more set tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment